Sunday, April 26, 2015

Checked Off Items From My Bucket List

Yesterday took a break from my packing chores and got to check somethings off my bucket list.  First item was to finally make it to Stitches South.  This has been something I have wanted to do for over three years.  I finally got to go even if it was only for one day.  This is what allowed me to check some items off my list.  If you have never been to a Stitches Event and you are a knitter, crocheter, spinner, weaver, or just like to pet nice fibers you really need to attend at least once even if only for a day.
The first item check off my list (other than attending Stitches) was to meet the designer, author, yarn developer, and just all around creative person Kristin Omdahl.  For a number of years I have followed her through Knitting Daily TV (have had to buy the dvds as my cable channel did not carry the show).  I have also purchased a number of her books and patterns.  About two years ago after purchasing her book A Finer Edge I created a granny square triangle shawl but needed a pretty edging.  There was one in her book that I thought was just ideal so I emailed her and asked if I could incorporate it in the pattern design AND She said yes.  The result was my pattern called Granny Meets Kristin and the two shawls that I made using the pattern.  When she brought out her line of yarns recently I purchased a skein of the first one Bamboo So Fine and got the ebook of patterns as well.  I really liked the one she had made using Coral but wanted to work it in the Ameythst so I did.  Yesterday I not only got to meet Kristin and like a really nerdy fan have her sign her most recent book that I had purchased, but I got to show off my shawls and actually have Granny (me) meet Kristin.  Here is a picture of the moment.                                            
With Kristin Omdahl at Stitches South 2015 in Nashville, TN


Another unexpected item on my bucket list was to pet a ball of Vicuna.  Any fiber enthusiast in the know realizes that this is a luxury yarn that most of us will never add to our stash but we all can dream.  It is very soft. 
I also got to meet another favorite designer Tammy Hildebrand who was hanging out with Amy Shelton at the Crochetville Booth.  Sure hope Amy can arrange to have her come and do a class or two for the local knitter/crocheter crowd.  Besides she is a fellow redhead so I know she is a real blast to be around.  
Because of my moving did not have a lot of money to spend.  Had a very strict limit of $50 for the day plus a little extra that I got from selling some of my stuff.  I did find a really nice small project bag for a friend from Erin Lane Bags.  Not the one designed by Kristin that I had wanted to get but another one with cats that she will enjoy just as much.  For myself I bought an inexpensive sheep pin made with wool fiber and wood and a new felted pet alpaca that I need to name.  My friend Amy Shelton call the two she carries around with her Swatch and Gauge but I need to come up with something different.  May have to ask one of my Spanish speaking friends for suggestions. 
Plus I also took part in the Inaugural Stitch Marker Swap and met some really nice friends and got some nice special stitch markers.
It was a really special day but long, however will do again next year but for longer (I hope).  Yes, Stitches South will be back in Nashville next year.   Next year will be from March 31 to April 3 so make plans to join me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment